Sylvan Ranch Community Garden Common Area Coordinator
There are a number of common areas in the Community Garden set aside for general members’ use. These areas include common use areas and common growing areas. The Board has predetermined the types of crops for each common growing area based on input from members about desired crops and the respective growing needs for each crop type.
Garden Common Areas currently developed:
- The Fruit Trees
- The Summer Viney Things
- The Herb Garden
- The Flower Garden
- The Sunflower Garden
- The Community Tomato Plot
- The Pumpkin Patch
- The Strawberry Patch
- The Day Lily Farm
- The Shed
- The Compost
Garden Common Areas currently under consideration:
- The Aspargus Garden
- The Artichoke Garden
- The Raspberry Bed
- The Green Bean Bed
- The Citrus Grove
- Choose plant varieties in accordance with UC recommendations and desired produce
- Determine requirements for soil, planting techniques, plant spacing, if supports are needed (shade/frost protection, trellis, etc.)
- Schedule planting day(s) and coordinate volunteers and resources. If possible, use this event as a teaching opportunity for the garden members/community
- Establish manual irrigation method/schedule or auto drip system. Designate team members to water per select method on a regular basis, or monitor auto system, with a frequency determined by seasonal need.
- Create a maintenance schedule for weeding and maintaining the common and surrounding pathway areas.
- Create and implement method of communicating the availability of harvested produce to the membership.
Members serving as a coordinator of a common area receive 2 points annually
To participate in the Coordinator Program, please download the Coordinator Agreement form, print and complete. Then submit your completed application to the SRCG Board. The application will be considered at the next scheduled Board meeting.